Hamilton Watch Review (Khaki & Jazzmaster)
The History of Hamilton Watches:
Founded in 1892, the Hamilton Watch Company has been around like what feels forever. They used to specialize in the production of fine pocket watches and wristwatches before they had a shift of focus. Today you’ll find that the Hamilton brand is owned by the Swatch Group, one of 3 major game players in the group.
Hamilton’s Modern Take:
Hamilton watches have long passed the era where they made watches and clocks with outdated movements and now rely on ETA movement and mainly produce Swiss Watches. They’re modern dial styles were derived from their superior 1902--40’s collections and as such, collectors from across the world hunt down these gems by their serial numbers today.
Why is Hamilton such a popular watch brand?
Well consider this: big time stars like Elvis Presley, Hilary Swank, Richard Gere, Keanu Reeves, Meg Ryan, Sylvester Stallone and George Clooney were the public promo agents for the brand, not by force, but by choice, and that’s saying a lot. It’s not hard to understand why Hamilton is one of the biggest stars of the wristwatch industry today.
What are the most popular Hamilton watches?
Over the years these 3 watches have been the go-to Hamilton products for millions across the globe:
- Hamilton Khaki Automatic
- Hamilton JazzMaster Viewmatic
- Hamilton JazzMaster Maestro Auto Chrono
So we’ve got the basics out of the way. Let’s show you exactly why these watches are ever so popular with our conclusive Hamilton watch reviews.
Buying Guide: The Best Hamilton Watches
Hamilton’s Khaki Field Automatic is just one model in a long line of military watches from the manufacturer. It has the same roots as the models that were produces during WW II onwards, but the models you’ll find retailing today are G.S versions, non-military watches. The watch is as close to perfection as you need it to be and everything has been perfectly polished, up to the case dimensions. The brushed satin stainless steel case with its plain polished steel bezel looks classy; and the fact that the Khaki Field Automatic is easy to read and use just seals the deal.
· It has a vintage look encompassed into a modern design
· The numerals and hands are illuminated which makes reading the dial super easy day or night
· The domed sapphire crystal eliminates the risk of scratches and minimizes reflection and glare
· It’s water resistant up to 100 meters
· The leather strap is made with the highest quality materials so it’s super durable
· Some folks find the dial to be a little too cluttered
· There have been a few complaints about the minute hand lagging behind the hour hand by roughly 2 minutes.
Designed as a quintessential dress watch, the Jazzmaster Viewmatic Skeleton from Hamilton is a little more affordable than most other models from the brand. The watch measures in at a case diameter of 40mm, which is ideal for wearing on a daily basis. The sleek stainless steel case is held together by the high quality black leather strap, but you can always interchange it with a steel bracelet if leather isn’t your thing. The watch is fitted with a self-winding mechanical movement caliber and because the movement is skeletonized, you can see it working from both sides of the case. Boasting laser engraving, and open worked rotor and the emblematic H symbols, it’s a very attractive watch that’ll steal the crowd’s attention.
· It’s more affordable than most other Hamiltons
· It looks classy and very sophisticated
· The dial is easy to read at a glance and with the dauphine shaped hands, lowlight time checks are no problem
· Some people have been complaining about the learning curve needed to get to grips with reading this watch
Hamilton states that the JazzMaster Maestro is the timepiece you need in order to achieve true perfection, and man were they right! Crafted with elegance and fine digits, everything on this watch screams style and sophistication. You wouldn’t thing that a watch with looks like this could boast a water resistance up to 100 meters, but it does plus its case is made from high quality stainless steel and covered by a sapphire crystal glass to prevent scratching. The face is absolutely striking, and it’s perfect for an everyday accessory. This watch is probably best known for its amazing accuracy and the fact that it just looks like a gentleman’s watch!
· Reading the face is easy and effortless form any angle
· The sapphire crystal helps prevent scratches
· It’s a classy watch that’ll be a perfect fit with just about any attire
· If you’re the everyday suit-wearing kind of man, the Maestro might be a little too bulky for you
· It’s a heavy watch
We’ve shown you our 3 top picks for the Best Hamilton Watches, but that doesn’t mean that those 3 are the only models to consider. Some other great Hamilton’s include the Ventura (best known as the Elvis Presley Watch), the Gramercy, the Khaki Navy Frogman (named after the movie ‘Frogman’ of 1951), the Aquariva, the Linwood and the Hamilton Everest.